“Yes, he was definitely in. And because of his Sherlock Holmes, and Tony Stark, and his sort of exceptionalism in those roles, we felt like he was suited for the role, certainly. His persona made sense. So we were onboard with the idea of it, but we never actually went into the recording studio, and that became the problem. He was so busy … So just getting him into the room literally became impossible and then we were like, ‘We have to make the movie. We can’t wait forever!’ So we said, ‘Let’s find someone else.’”
Rob Minkoff, on why Robert Downey Jr. dropped out of the animated film, Mr. Peabody and Sherman, to which he was attached in 2010.
About Robert Downey Jr.’s role in ‘Chef’
[WARNING: Spoilers for a cameo role.]
[Please don’t read if you don’t want to know further.]
[EDIT: Fixed ‘cause I just read RDJ’s part of the script]
- He is only in one scene.
- His role is literally only five pages of script.
- He plays a character named Marvin.
- He is Sofia Vergara’s (Inez) first husband.
- Inez prods Carl Casper (Jon Favreau’s character) to take up Marvin’s help.
- He owns a bunch of companies including leasing catering trucks.
- Marvin provides Carl the beaten-down food truck, which Carl restores and is central to the story.
- He only shares the scene with Jon Favreau.